Re: Latex version 2.09 from 7 Dec 89 ??

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 10:24:27AM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:

:Right Answer: LaTeX2e is intended to be a mostly-compatible successor
:to LaTeX 2.09.

Thanks, I'll try that first, this is all complecated by the fact that
I know *nothing* about TeX of any flavor...

:(I know that LaTeX2e isn't 100% compatible with LaTeX 2.09, but I
:don't entirely know what the differences are.  LaTeX2e added some
:commands not present in 2.09, so there's a possibility of a namespace
:conflict.  I think the other issues can only come up if the author of
:the document was a 4th-level TeXpert or higher.)

Hmmm. We'll see :0

I setup the laptop in question and rather blindly through all the TeX
stuff I could find at it, don't know what that works out to though...

:MIT Answer: Up until a couple of years ago, Athena's default latex
:installation was based on LaTeX 2.09.  So if you can find a Linux box
:around with the SIPB installation of Red Hat 4.2/Athena 8.0 on it, it
:should have a "normal" LaTeX 2.09.  (Then upgrade it to something more
:modern!)

The AI Lab is it's own creature.  We don't use Athena and aren't on
18.0.0.0/8, but thanks for the pointer, if I can't get him going with
LaTeX2e I'll check with the SIPB folks.

-jon