Re: speed up modem connection

on Thu, May 31, 2001 at 12:24:47AM -0700, John Joe (zhoupp@yahoo.com) wrote:
> I surf with Netscape 4.0 for Linux and find it much
> slower than IE 5.0 of MS Winodws. I've change MTU to 576 (MTU is an
> argument to pppd) and it didn't help.
>
> I connect by 33.6k internal modem. I use Debian 2.1.

If you've got a PIII 200+ and 128+ MB RAM, Galeon or Mozilla should be a
lot faster.  Skipstone may work on less full-blooded systems.
Konqueror's a nice browser, but I don't know its performance profile.
If you're not tied to free software (and you're not if you're running
Netscape), Opera's designed for speed.  Tabbed browsing provides a bit
of an illusion of speed -- you can do a lot of tasks in background while
reading something in the foreground.  Makes even very slow connections
quite bearable.

Junkbuster to kill banners will speed pageloads considerably -- most
banner servers are dog slow.  And that's the least of their offences.

A Squid proxy server can speed browsing considerably.  I get about a 20%
hit rate (not sure if that's objects or bytes) through mine, from a
single user (performance, as hits, actually improves with more use),
that's 20% of my requests that are procured locally rather than
remotely.  I found performance on my wimpy PPro 180 desktop improved
markedly when I offloaded Squid to my P-200 firewall box (who says wimpy
old boxes can't fly ;-) -- it's a bit memory hungry.  Web performance in
general is quite acceptable.

If you can switch that modem of yours for a 56K job (about US$80
according to today's forray to the store), along with the other
suggestions, you should find web browsing performance acceptable, if not
blinding.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!