Re: AVI Player (mplayer)

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Reza wrote:

> Hi...
> I think someone suggested to use Mplayer for AVI
> player, but now, I have a little bit problem when I'm
> playing DivX movies, the sound is not good, it stop
> sometimes, and then I could hear the sound again, and
> it only happened if I play DivX movies, and when I
> type mplayer -vo x11 filaname.avi one of the line
> says:
> Detected AVI file format!
> ==> Found video stream: 0
> ==> Found audio stream: 1
>
> Can you please help me with this? Thank you :)

   Run top.
 - if you have 100% CPU usage then it's not surprising that the sound
falls behind sometimes. Try to upgrade to XFree 4, use xv... whatever
that would decrease CPU usage and allow mplayer to keep up.
 - if your CPU usage is way below 100% then it's probably a problem with
the sound driver. I have this problem on my laptop (ALSA snd-ymfpci
driver) and I have no idea what to do, except upgrade to a more recent
release of ALSA one of these days. On my machine this also causes video
choppiness: if I run 'mplayer -nosound' the video is fine, otherwise
it's choppy and the sound is interrupted every few seconds (even with
<20% CPU usage).

--
Francois Gouget         fgouget@free.fr        http://fgouget.free.fr/
                         Stolen from an Internet user: