Re: transfer between win2k and debian

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 09:09:51PM -0000, Em Huynh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got a little network (100baseT w/switch) going with win2k and debian. When
> I transfer from my debian box (p3 566 w/ultra 66 hd) it seem to peak at
> about 3000k-4000k.
>
> Does that seem right for a 100 base t network? I believe both network cards(
> netgear ) are running at full duplex ( says so on the switch's front panel
> which is a linksys gateway/router).

I get around 3200kB/s on my home network (100mb/s, full duplex using a 5
port switch). Because of the way TCP/IP is designed no single connection
will be able to take up all of a high speed network's capacity, even if it
is the only connection in progress (maybe because today's networks are alot
faster than they were when IPv4 was developed.) I think I read that IPv6
was supposed to help solve this; maybe someone who works with IPv6 could
fill us in?

--
Harry Henry Gebel
West Dover Hundred, Delaware