misconfiguration

Hello,

I accidentally misconfigured the package 'snort', so dpkg is unable to
finish the installation process. I am unable to run dpkg-reconfigure,
because the package is not fully installed. I am also unable to run
dpkg-preconfigure, but that has no effect because the package already has
been configured. I forced deinstall and tried to reinstall it, but the
debconf dialog does not appear again, and the error is still the same.

How can you let dpkg forget old configuration settings for one package?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastiaan