Re: Want Debian, but have questions...

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Patrick R. Klee wrote:

>Hi,
>	Well, it looks like Red Hat 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 don't support my
>hardware, I figure it's the 2.4 vanilla kernel.  So, I want Debian.

If RedHat and Mandrake don't support your hardware, don't expect any
miracles out of Debian: hardware configuratiuon is much harder under
Debian.

>I have about 50 floppies, and I have no money, so I figure I will do the PPP
>install.  However, on the FTP site, for Potato there are 11-13 *.bin floppies
>For Woody, there is JUST root, rescue and drivers.  Can I get Woody, without

Don't even try woody installation yet.  Those floppies are for testing.
My advice to you is to get the POF installation from potato and upgrade to
woody once you're comfortable with it.  If you can get away with it, I'd
suggest putting base2_2.tgz and drivers.tgz on a spare HD and using them
to install.  Then you'll just need rescue and root: basically the pile of
floppies install is being phased out.

>the 9 floppies (I can't remember the name) used for the floppy Potato install?

Let's see: you have rescue, root, drivers 1-4, then the 11 or so base:
where are you getting 9?

>I hate to sound like and idiot, but as my C programming treacher says, "There
>is no such thing as a stupid question."  But I just want this to go well.
>
>OH CRAP!!!  I almost forgot.  Can I resume a download of the packages if I get
>disconnected...Just point me a to a HOWTO, I would like to learn on my own,
>I will probably get yelled at for this e-mail, but I have been a Red Hat user
>since 4.2 (No sound or printer support :-P), so I guess I am a Debian newbie.

Apt resumes downloads nicely, no input from you needed.

>Finally, I had Debian on my system, but went back to Red Hat, but after using it
>I like it, because we use it in college, AND you have to actually work to get
>something to install or work, and I once I get Debian, I can compile my homework
>at home or school.  :-)

Welcome back: we held your seat :) They all come back eventually...

--
Galt's sci-fi paradox:  Stormtroopers versus Redshirts to the death.