Re: debian on a 486

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 09:30:01PM -0400, Matt Gerginski wrote:
| Hi.  I want to put debian on a 486 that I recently got from my school.
| They were giving away "obsolete" computers, so I grabbed 5 of them.  I
| just have one small problem:  I can't get any of the rescue.bin disks to
| boot on the computer.  It boots fine in my newer computer, so its not
| the disk.  To get around that, I used an old slackware bootdisk, and
| then loaded the debian root installation disk.  It worked great for
| everything except for the network configuration and some kernel
| modules.  I tried to do the neccasary repairs myself, but it seems the
| only way to get this thing working right is to use the debian boot
| disk.  I need to find a boot disk that works, compile a kernel of my own
| for the boot disk, or find an older debian boot disk and hope it works
| with the machine and still works with the debian installation process.
| Any suggestions or help???  Thanks a ton.

I did an installed Debian on a 486SX-25 with 8 MB RAM.  I only had the
CDs, no floppies and the system couldn't boot from the CD.  Also, DOS
didn't have any CD drivers so I couldn't use loadlin (though I guess I
could have copied loadlin and the kernel to the HD as someone else
suggested).

My solution was to pull the HD out and put it in the newer workstation
I have and install from CD there.  Once done I put the HD back in the
486 and it has worked great since then.

(BTW the CD drive was borrowed from another machine just for the
install on that box)

-D