Re: rescue cd

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 21:45:28 John Patton wrote:

> Does anyone know how one would go about creating a debian
> rescue cd? Something bootable, with enough utilities on it
> to really be able to fix a system. A custom made ramdisk
> would be perfect. I've been trying to figure out how to do
> this, with no luck. Any hints or pointers would be great.

Well, the CD itself doesn't have to be debian - so long as it boots a
recent-ish kernel and has loads of tools available.

Check out http://open-projects.linuxcare.com/BBC/

Or for our own LUG's version which is geared more towards sysadmins:

http://www.linux.ie/download/ilug_bbc/

They can be written to a 50MB mini-CD. I have a business-card sized one in
my wallet for emergencies and it has been extremely useful on occasion.

M.