Re: 486 router is very slow

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 12:11:04AM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:

> >    Just a few random checks that come to mind:
> >  * what is the chip controlling the serial port to the ISDN modem? Is it
> > an 8250 or a 16650? I seem to remember that the 8250 were not very good
> > but I don't remember when they stopped using them.
> >  * check the serial port configuration. What is its baud rate?
> >  * what is the CPU usage? To see if it's really CPU bound? Do the
> > system/user values look odd?
> >

> I have an ISDN TA.
>
> It seems that my serial is set up with 115200 bps
> I need due several routing reasons 2.4 kernel. so toms and so on isn't well
> for me. i run un upgraded potato
>
> I have 8 MB ram 25 MB swap... do need more swap?

What does 'free' say?  Does 'ps ax' show many processes as SW
(swapped)?  Are any of these critical?  8 MB is really a minimal
system.  I suspect that you probably could use more ram plus a bigger
swap.

I ran a 486 with 16 MB of ram as a router and it worked fairly well.  I
plan to runs a few server apps on it so I recently replaced it with a
P-120 motherboard (which cost all of $50 USD, including 32 MB of ram)
and the difference is noticeable.

Bob