Re: NFS

From: Jerry Sternesky <jster@home.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: NFS
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 08:58:58 -0400

Where can I get information on setting up an NFS share for Potato?  The nfs
how-to isn't helping me and in The Debian GNU/Linux Network adminstrator's
manual, the nfs section is blank.  I installed nfs-common and
nfs-kernel-server.

rpcinfo -p only showed portmapper running so I executed rpc.mountd and that
seemed ok, but when I run rpc.nfsd I get nfssvc: Function not implemented.
So I need to be able to figure out what is happening here.  I never had a
problem with nfs before, but this is my first install of debain and things
are a little different then I am accustomed to.  So a point in the right
direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

It's pretty easy after you do it once, like most things. You need to specify what directories to share in /etc/exports. Otherwise, on boot or init change, nfsd checks to see if there are any directories to "export" and if there are none it exits. So that's why you're not seeing it.

Here is one of my export files. It's sharing a cd to the system named howard and pointlessly is offering rw to it, not that I look at it. duh!

roder@sparky$ cat /etc/exports
# /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
#               to NFS clients.  See exports(5).
/cdrom  howard.x.lan(rw)