GNU emacs has the wrong key settings in X

I have been puzzling for some time why backspace and delete worked fine
everywhere except when using emacs under X.  In this instance, both keys
deleted backwards (ie did what the backspace key should).

The weird thing that I could not initally figure out is that whenever emacs
runs in character mode (for instance running it across an ssh link to another
machine) everything worked perfectly. However reading the debian policy on
this subject I did "begin" to understand given different approaches to
mapping these keys.

However, despite looking, I couldn't find where in the startup sequence the
debian package set the key mappings.  In the end I put the following line in
my $HOME/.emacs file

(global-set-key [delete] 'delete-char)

And all works perfectly

However I would have thought that this is something the debian package should
do automatically in its startup scripts that are in /usr/lib/emacs/...

Am I missing something here?

PS - Xemacs ( a different package altogther - I know) works fine.

--

  Alan                     - alan@chandlerfamilly.org.uk
http://www.chandler.u-net.com or http://www.chandler.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk