Re: trouble logging in through

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 12:14:36AM +0200, Jeroen Valcke wrote:
> tonight I upgraded my system, and now I can't log in through gdm. I can
> still start X windows on the console by typing starx.
> What has changed? Should I check X configuration files or gdm config
> files?

Oke, I found this myself already. A friend tipped me off. Apparantly
wmaker was moved to another location with the update. It is now in
/usr/bin/wmaker before the upgrade it was in /usr/bin/X11/wmaker.
I found out that I had to change a gdm config file.
The last line in /etc/gdm/Sessions/Debian is now exec wmaker, where it
used to be exec /usr/bin/X11/wmaker

> On the side, this remarks. Earlier I posted a problem with starting
> xscreensaver automatically by means of the xsession file. I noticed that
> when I start X with startx the xscreensaver gets started. This leads me to
> assuming that when I log in to X using gdm the .xsession file doesn't get
> interpreted. Is my assumption correct?

Hmmm, I just added xscreensaver & to the /etc/gdm/Sessions/Debian file and
now xscreensaver starts fine when I log in. However is this the right way
to do this.
Can I source the .xsession file just like the .bashrc file (source
.xsession) I could just add this to my .../Sessions/Debian file. Better?

--
Jeroen Valcke               jeroen@valcke.com
ICQ# 30116911               Home page: http://www.valcke.com/jeroen