Re: emacs

Lo, on Thursday, June 7, Andrew D Dixon did write:

> HI All,
> Does anyone know how to change the keybindings in emacs?  Specifically
> I'd like to make my Backspace key delete the character before the cursor
> (seems like a natural thing to me) instead of what it's doing now (which
> is being wierd).

First, which version of emacs?  FSF emacs or XEmacs?

Second, what exactly is backspace doing now?

Third, are you running under X or a console?

My setup (XEmacs 21.1, under X) can be reproduced by adding the following
to your .emacs:

(global-set-key [BS] 'delete-backward-char)
(global-set-key [DEL] 'backward-or-forward-delete-char)
(setq delete-key-deletes-forward nil)
;; Note that these should be defaults under Debian.

And set your keyboard up so that the plastic bump labeled `backspace'
generates the BackSpace keysym, and the plastic bump labeled `delete'
generates the Delete keysym.

Then, in XEmacs, backspace will delete the character just before point, and
delete will delete the character just after point.

Richard