Trials w/ Debian install

Hey,

I'm a little embarrassed.  I've installed debian around 50 times, but
somehow I can't do it on this computer.  I've started the installer (off
of floppies), and I've gotten to the point where I should be able to
install the base system over the network.  I have an 3COM Etherlink III,
and the 3c509 module was installed w/ no errors, but it wouldn't install
over the network.  I went into a shell and tried to ping my gateway, but
I couldn't.  I can't ping anything on the network (except myself).  Not
sure exactly what's wrong (seeing as the module installed fine), any
thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson