Re: statusoverride how to fix??????

[Please send followups to the list rather than to me unless it's
personal. Apart from anything else, if you just mail me then nobody else
has enough information to help you.]

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 at 10:02:54 -0400, Debian User wrote:
> On Friday 08 June 2001 09:26, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Debian User <cparker@adelphia.net> wrote:
> > >dpkg --install file.deb keeps giving a statusoverride error.  How to fix
> > >this?????
> >
> > Do you mean the 'file' package, or is that just a way of saying "any
> > package"? Please show us the *full* error message.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> That is any package
> states: dpkg: syntax error: invalid mode in statusoverride file
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (2)

Your /var/lib/dpkg/statoverride might be corrupt. For instance, mine
looks like this:

  root mail 664 /etc/groupie/mailtonews.conf
  root adm 4754 /usr/bin/lpr
  root root 755 /usr/lib/apache/suexec
  root root 04755 /usr/bin/ssh
  root vmware 04754 /usr/sbin/vmnet
  root jwhois 0775 /var/cache/jwhois
  root tty 6755 /usr/bin/write
  root root 04755 /usr/sbin/ssh
  root jwhois 02755 /usr/bin/jwhois
  root mail 664 /etc/groupie/groupie.lists
  root vmware 04750 /usr/bin/hercifc

My guess is that the third field of one of the lines isn't a number (it
should be a numeric file mode, like the above). Fix that and all should
be well.

Cheers,