Console Terminal Colors

I have a tripple boot system at home. W98/FreeBSD/Debian.
Yeah, I know, but I enjoy the punishment.....

In FreeBSD I can use the "vidcontrol" command to change
my non-GUI consoles to a black background with a green
foreground.  It is much easier on the eyes for me.  Can
this be done in Debian Linux, or for that matter, any
flavor of Linux?

BTW... Thanks D-Man & Matt Chipman for the tip on the ifconfig
command from my previous post.  I never thought about that.
I'll check when I get home from the office tonight.
--
-=[cwa]=-
Debian 2.2_r2