Re: two questions

GARGIULO Eduardo INGDESI wrote:

> Hi, this is my first message to the list.
> I had installed debian potato 2.2 and I'm new to debian.
> The questions are:
>
> - when the installer ask me where to put the boot loader,
> I choose floppy, because the computer is shared with other OS.

I've never tried this but if you want to boot from a floppy choose not
to make the system bootable from hard disk and make a boot floppy.  Then
when you want to boot Debian put boot from the floppy and when you want
to boot windows boot without the floppy, but you don't need a boot
loader.

However, with a bootloader (I'm very happy with lilo but grub might be
worth checking out too) you can boot either OS from the hard disk which,
to answer your next question, is much faster than booting from a
floppy.  You want to:
	0. Make backups. You can (and probably will on your first try) hose
your system.
	1. make Linux bootable from hard disk
	2. install the bootloader in the mbr
If your using lilo you can then choose which OS to boot into by holding
down the left shift key at the lilo prompt.

HTH,
Andy