two questions

Hi, this is my first message to the list.
I had installed debian potato 2.2 and I'm new to debian.
The questions are:

- when the installer ask me where to put the boot loader,
I choose floppy, because the computer is shared with other OS.
It works ok, but is very very slow the boot process until it pass
control to hard disk. How can I speed up the floppy boot process?

- the kernel version is 2.2.17, but I want to compile 2.4.5. I have
the tar.bz2 kernel file, but I don't know which packages I need to
compile the kernel. Where can I find the list of packages needed to
do it?

thanks, and sorry for my english.

--yapedu/xgnu