CTRL-ALT-Fn doesn't work (potato, sparc)

  I have a sun sparcstation with debian potato installed. everything
works (so far) but ctrl-alt-fn has strange effect - it switches to given
virtual console (few times) but then the only effect is having strange
characters (two per keystroke usually) displayed on the screen, I cannot
login (enter does not work, even though usually some of the keys works
as enter the login is never successfull).

  is there any help?

  TIA

	erik