Re: XF86Setup problem

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 10:50:58PM +0200, Jeroen Valcke wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I already asked this question in my local linux ng, but the answer were
> not that helpfull. So I hope somebody can give me an answer here.
> I would like to reconfigure X windows on my machine. Especially the
> grafical settings need some finetuning. I would like to change resolutions
> and add virtual screen. So I start XF86Setup as root, but I get this
> error:
> Tomsk:~# XF86Setup &
> [1] 23274
> Tomsk:~# Error in database, invalid reference: ET4000/W32 (generic).
> Error in database, invalid reference: ET4000/W32 (generic).
> Error in database, invalid reference: ET4000/W32 (generic).
> Error in database, invalid reference: Generic VGA compatible.
> Error in database, invalid reference: Generic VGA compatible.
> Warning CHIPSET specification missing in Card database entry S3 Savage4
> (line 1442).
> Warning SERVER specification missing in Card database entry Trident
> TGUI9420 (generic) (line 2186).
> Warning SERVER specification missing in Card database entry Trident
> TGUI9440 (generic) (line 2191).
> Warning SERVER specification missing in Card database entry Trident
> TGUI9660 (generic) (line 2196).
> Warning SERVER specification missing in Card database entry Trident
> TGUI9680 (generic) (line 2201).
> Warning SERVER specification missing in Card database entry Trident Cyber
> 9320 (generic) (line 2218).
>
> Any idea what the problem is?
> Also some guy suggested using xf86config instead. So I tried this too.
> However, when I restart gdm using the new XF86Config file I get a black
> screen, so no X. Actually there is a small '+' sign in the upper left
> corner.
> I guess this has someting to do with the graphical card I choose from the
> database.
> I have an Nvidia Riva TNT II Pro. In the specs of my graphics card I also
> find 128-bit high performance accelarator. In the database there is
> RIVATNT2 and RIVA128. I don't really know which one to choose. I tried
> both but none seem to work.
> Any suggestions here?
>
> Thanks, Regards
> -Jeroen-
>
> --
> Jeroen Valcke               jeroen@valcke.com
> ICQ# 30116911               Home page: http://www.valcke.com/jeroen
> Phone +32(0)56 32 91 37     Mobile +32(0)486 88 21 26

G'day Jeroen,

I'm guessing but it looks like your using X 3, and if your video card
wasn't detected during the original install xserver-vga16 will be the
only xserver-??? installed, and it doesn't contain wupport for most
modern video cards, Nvidia TNT 2 is supported under X 3 by xserver-svga
if you installed this with "apt-get install xserver-sgva" and try to
configure X again it should work, You probably want the RIVATNT2 driver.

Cheers

Joel
--
Anagrams reveal the mysteries.
Windows Two Thousand Professional =  Stoned Sonata: Worship Windows foul.