Re: $VIMRUNTIME

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 12:14:57PM -0500, joey tsai wrote:
| Anyway, opening a file in vim which has some syntax will cause vim to say like -
|     Error detected while processing Syntax Auto commands for "conf":
|     Can't open file /usr/share/vim/syntax/conf.vim
|     Press RETURN or enter command to continue
|
| I'm guessing it's looking there because of the $VIM or $VIMRUNTIME parameters,
| both of which are /usr/share/vim for me.
|
| But Debian is installing vim's "syntax" and "doc" directories in
| /usr/share/vim/vim58, why vim can't find what it's looking for.

Yes, you (or the package, or your environment, whatever) is telling
vim that its runtime stuff (help docs, sytnax highlighting scripts,
etc) is in /usr/share/vim even though it is really in
/usr/share/vim/vim58.

| My current work-around is to sym-link the syntax and doc directories so it
| works.  I'm guessing changing the $VIMRUNTIME variable would work, too.  But
| neither of those solutions seem to me to be best way to do it.
|
| Do I just have a strange setup?  Is the vim package meant to be like this?

I would simply set $VIM to point to the proper directory.  Do you
already have $VIM and/or $VIMRUNTIME set in ~/.bashrc or
/etc/bash.bashrc?  If so, then that is the source of the problem.  If
not, then it is possible the wrong default path was compiled into the
package.  (It would take some more investigation to determine that).

I have the version 5.6 package from stable, and was trying to build
6.0 (alpha version 'ai') from source (it worked on my win2k-cygwin box
at work).

-D