Audio CDs [solved]

I'm now able to play audio CDs and would like to say thanks to every who
gave advice. I ended up solving the problem by giving "others" permission
to read cdrom. Though I do realize this may not be the best solution. I
think I'll try playing around with groups like David suggested. Though I
didn't realize you could be in multiple groups.

Also a lot of you mentioned mixers. Right now I don't have any mixers
installed, and I'm not entirely sure if I have mixer support compiled
into the kernel (though if having /dev/mixer means I do, then I do). I
would assume that if I do have mixer support all that I have to do is
apt-get one. Anyone have some good suggestions for a mixer? I noticed
there was a lot of them listed.

And also will a mixer help my crappy sound? Right now everything is
pretty low quality compared to playing it in windoze. Though I'm sure I'll
figure most of this stuff out once I get back to my machine and have a
chance to play around with it.

Thanks,
Rob Mosher