Re: Audio CDs [solved]

Hi Robert,

On Thursday 07 June 2001 06:08 am, Robert Mosher wrote:
> I'm now able to play audio CDs and would like to say thanks to every who
> gave advice. I ended up solving the problem by giving "others" permission
> to read cdrom. Though I do realize this may not be the best solution. I
> think I'll try playing around with groups like David suggested. Though I
> didn't realize you could be in multiple groups.

You can indeed :-)

> Also a lot of you mentioned mixers. Right now I don't have any mixers
> installed, and I'm not entirely sure if I have mixer support compiled
> into the kernel (though if having /dev/mixer means I do, then I do). I
> would assume that if I do have mixer support all that I have to do is
> apt-get one. Anyone have some good suggestions for a mixer? I noticed
> there was a lot of them listed.

It depends on which environment you're using.
	KDE: kmix
	Gnome: gmix
	Anything else: xmix
I don't know of any console based ones, although I know they're out there.

> And also will a mixer help my crappy sound? Right now everything is
> pretty low quality compared to playing it in windoze. Though I'm sure I'll
> figure most of this stuff out once I get back to my machine and have a
> chance to play around with it.

Not sure about that, but if you play with the levels it may work. If I turn
up my volume too high on the computer, my sound gets scratchy, so I have to
compensate by turning up the speakers themselves.

> Thanks,
> Rob Mosher

Good luck!

- David Nusinow