Re: Audio CDs

On Monday 04 June 2001 06:12 am, Robert Mosher wrote:
> Hi
>
> Not too long ago I installed Debian2.2r2 on my computer. Since then I have
> slowly been getting things the way I want them. One thing I have yet to
> do, and would appreciate any help on, is playing (mounting) Audio CDs.
>
> I don't know if this will make a difference, but I have run 'apt-get
> upgrade' since release 3.
>
> I've read about cdfs for mounting audio CDs, but that requires kernel
> 2.4.x. Will I need to upgrade my kernel, and if so, how?
>
> Also, I noticed when browsing through the available packages that there
> are several CD players. I'm assuming this means I can play CDs somehow,
> without too much trouble (relatively speaking), since it would be
> pointless to include these packages if you can't.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob Mosher

What you probably need to do is add yourself to the appropriate groups.
There's an audio group and a cdrom group and if your user is a member of both
(I'm not totally sure about the cdrom one, but definitely the audio) then you
should be able to play CD's. If you can't hear a sound, then it's probably a
mixer issue and you can download a mixer program to mess with your sound
levels.

Once you've added yourself to the group just fire up a CD player and it
should work. CD audio is one of the easiest things to get setup generally.

- David Nusinow
   krmt1984@ucla.edu