Re: Help Please

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 11:20:00PM +0100, R. Jorge wrote:
:I have install debian GNU/Linux.
:
:I type  login - root  then I type the password  and after that the next line comes like that:
:
:debian:~#
:
:I don't no what I have to do !!!! can you please help me?

That's the command prompt, you don't *have* to anything, but you can
do what ever you want :)

The suggested reading is a good start.

Also make a "regular" user account so you can poke agound without
breaking anyhting.  To do this type "adduser" you'll be prompted for
the necessary info, just use all lowercase letters and no spaces for
the user name.

Then logout (with "logout"), and log in with the new user name.  Just
for fun after that type "startx" at the command prompt (probably now
"debian:~$").  This is how you start the graphical system with menues
and pretty colors.  In all likelyhood either nothing will happen or a
whole bunch of text garbage will dump to the screen and nothing will
happen :)

This means XFree86 either isn't installed or  (in the later case) is
unconfigured.  If you get graphic your in business, if not I baet
that's what you do next.

-Jon