Re: filtering email via EXIM -- question

On 06/06/01 05:41:58 -0500, will trillich wrote:

[..]

> 1) is the exim filtering mechanism uncharacteristically
> lethargic? seems like processing takes heap long time forever.
> maybe i missed an option or feature...?

Not sure about that. Mine seems to function normally. I'm not
processing a buch of mail though. Although some would beg to differ
being subscribed to this list! ;-)

> 2) does the exim filtering mechanism somehow bork the timestamps
> on mailboxes? when i hopped into mutt a moment ago, i have five
> boxes with new mail; i checked into one of them, nosed around
> and switched, and suddenly only two were marked as new.
> grok-challenged, here. (what else might munge that datum?)

I think this is a mutt thing. When new mail arrives a mailbox, those
messages are marked as new with the "N" tag. If you switch to another
box and switch back, then those messages are no longer new, they're
old, and therefore marked with the "O" tag. This is to distinguish
them from read messages. Maybe you're experiencing something
different?

> 3) anybody got some high-power, dual-exhaust, chrome-plated,
> twin overhead cam examples of exim filters to get us
> .forwarding newbies off the ground? i've seen the simple ones
> they've got in /usr/share/doc/exim/filter.html ...

I was going to post mine, but yours is more complicated than mine as
you're using regexps. Yeah, I just pulled mine together from the
filtering file in the exim docs. I was looking to make mine a little
more robust, so I hope some post their .forward file examples here.
Aw, what the heck, here's mine:

#   Exim filter   <<== do not edit or remove this line!
if error_message then finish endif

if $h_Reply-to: contains "kplug-newbie"
  then save $home/Mail/IN.KPLUG-Newbie

elif $h_Resent-From: contains "debian-user"
  then save $home/Mail/IN.Debian-User

elif $h_Reply-to: contains "kplug-list"
  then save $home/Mail/IN.KPLUG

elif $h_Reply-to: contains "kplug-security"
  then save $home/Mail/IN.KPLUG-Security

elif $h_From: contains "mwagnon@sbusd.k12.ca.us" and
  $h_Subject: contains "Fwd:"
  then save $home/Mail/IN.SBUSD

elif $h_From: contains "Linux news daily mailing list"
  then save $home/Mail/IN.Linux-News

else save $home/Mail/IN.BOX

endif
# --- of .forward file ---