Re: how to purge my system of the Ximian stuff (Was: Re: X: "could not open default font 'fixed'")

Buffalo Phil wrote:

>   how can I <<purge my system of the Ximian stuff>> ?

I'm not sure what the best way is but . . .

find the offending ximian package (you said dpkg -l|grep ximian which
sounds good) and run:

	#apt-cache show <evil ximian package>

this should tell you all about the ximian package and the Debian package
that it replaces.  Then you need to get the package (if it's still in
/var/cache/apt/archives your set but if not you'll have to get it via
ftp).  Now run:

	#dpkg -i <blessed Debian package>

Rinse, lather, repeat (for every single package that ximian put on your
box :(

later,
Andy