Re: dpkg: Update failures

Anthony Fok wrote:

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 11:49:57AM +0800, Yang Shouxun wrote:

Dear Debian users,

Because I'm behind a Wingate, I don't have direct access to http or ftp. Someone suggests set http_proxy and ftp_proxy in /etc/environment, but that seems to be not working.

Actually, not to /etc/environment, but to /etc/apt/apt.conf.
For example, I used to use this:

	Acquire::http::proxy "http://nocache.srv.ualberta.ca:8080/";;

Please let me know if that solves your problem.

Lately, I tried this setting to update to woody from potato 2.2r3, and it works fine. There is just one thing annoying: The wingate proxy server requires java-supported browser for authentication. I can use the proxy only when the proxy server does not require authenitication.

Thanks!