Help: Mouse under X in Testing

Hi,
     I've just upgraded to Testing, using an apt-get dist-upgrade.

I had installed 2.2r0 and upgraded regularly but had used Helix
Gnome followed by Ximian 1.4. I had problems removing Ximian
and it took some time to get a working  X server.

I can now start Gnome/icewm with startx but I cannot get the
mosue to work. I used the xf86config tool to create the
configuration and used the same settings as I had under
XF86Setup:- PS/2 and /dev/psaux but it does not work.

I note a line saying that there is a problem with /dev/gpmdata but I
have not started gpm.

The computer is a Gateway 5150 PII-233 64MB RAM with a
Synaptics Touchpad.

I expect it is something simple but would welcome some help.

TIA,
      Tim Wood