Re: root via ssh / why su - ?

on Mon, May 28, 2001 at 09:18:17PM +1000, Brian May (bam@debian.org) wrote:

>     >> On my own boxen, root passwords were changed from defaults, and
>     >> root ssh denied.  I actually stood down my system administrator
>     >> telling him he had no need for a root password on the box -- he
>     >> could administer the box locally if need be, I didn't trust his
>     >> security management (passwords were kept in an Excel
>     >> spreadsheet -- he didn't last long).
>
>     Alvin> humm...smart... why bother have a "secret passwd" if ya
>     Alvin> gonna write it down... oh well...
>
> If you administrate XYZ different computer systems, and each computer
> has a different root password, it can become very difficult to
> remember all these passwords (especially if you don't regularly use
> that particular system).

This is why God invented ssh RSA key authentication.  One passphrase
(mine runs better than 25 characters) hits all systems.  For one bastion
system I accessed, I didn't *know* my user password, having first
changed it to some arbitrary 12 character string.  pwgen is fun.  I've
also checked to see that it generates a wide range of generally distinct
passwords, and it appears it does (posted recently to bugtraq).

> So you either run the risk of forgetting a vital password at a vital
> time, or you write them down somewhere in a safe place.

I also use my palm pilot and Cryptinfo.

Other options include one-time password generators available as credit
cards or key fobs.

> ...ssh RSA/DSA authentication might be the best solution (assuming you
> *allow* remote root logins),

No.  You allow remote unprivileged user logins, and sudo root for
specific commands.

> but only if you always log on from the same trusted computer every
> time. Not good, for instance, if you accidently break network access
> to a central server, but can't remember the password to login locally
> to the console.

...in which case you log in as a local user and grab the password from
your secured palm pilot or similar.

> (Just a thought: perhaps a better solution would be to store these
> passwords on a computer file, but GPG encrypt them?)

Several such utilities exist for GNU/Linux, though I haven't used any
myself.  Potential problems exist on any shared-memory system.  At least
a palm pilot is relatively isolated, though this assumption may change.

   Disclaimer:          http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/