Re: small school: replacements for MS Word and Excel

Sean Morgan <macinslak@mac.com> wrote:
>OK, the two messages previous posts kind of play off eachother so I'm
>going to reply to them in one go.  First off ext2, it has a really bad
>habit of losing files in hard crashes and power outages, this isn't a
>problem for someone like you or I as we know how to recover them, for a
>student with no root and no knowledge of how to do this, it's called a
>couple of hours work down the tubes.

I have to say, I've never lost a file to an ext2 disk crash, nor even
had to go any further than the odd prompted "run fsck manually" to
recover it, and at one stage I ran a Cyrix P166+ that crashed every
twelve hours due to overheating. (Needless to say, I only put up with
this for a week or two before stretching my then-student budget enough
to buy a half-decent CPU and motherboard.) My Linux box at work also
occasionally hangs solidly for mysterious hardware reasons: same thing,
never suffered any filesystem damage whatsoever nor had to put any
effort into keeping it that way.

This doesn't seem like much of a "bad habit" to me. I've never used NT
(apart from occasional five-minute stints as a user), so I can't compare
it to NTFS.