Re: Need help with NVIDIA driver installation

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 06:41:04PM -0700, Abner Gershon wrote:
> I have been trying to install the NVIDIA drivers for
> my NVIDIA 32mb GeForce 2 card without much success. I
> succeeded in downloading two tar files from the NVIDIA
> web site under windows and then decompressing them
> into my /usr/local directory. This created two new
> directories /usr/local/NVIDIA_GLX-0.9-769 and
> /usr/local/NVIDIA_kernal-0.9-769.
>
> I typed "make install" in NVIDIA_GLX* directory and
> received error message, "install: cannot create
> regular file '//usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers': No
> such file or directory
> make:***[install]Error 1
>
> Then I proceeded to mkdir
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers
> thinking this might solve the problem.
>
> I again ran "make install" and got these messages:
> Removing all old and conflicting files!

There's two deb packages for Nvidia drivers, they don't contain the
sources but they do contain some good install scripts, 'apt-get
nvidia-kernel-??? nvidia-glx-???' then copy the two source tarballs
into /usr/src/ and follow the direction in the readme for the deb's
you should be find.

You'll need kernel headers to compile the nvidia-kernel driver, if you
compile your own you've already got them if you using the stock debian
kernel you'll need to 'apt-get kernel-source-??? kernel-headers-???'

Cheers

Joel

--
Anagrams reveal the mysteries.
Windows Two Thousand Professional =  Stoned Sonata: Worship Windows foul.