Need help with NVIDIA driver installation

I have been trying to install the NVIDIA drivers for
my NVIDIA 32mb GeForce 2 card without much success. I
succeeded in downloading two tar files from the NVIDIA
web site under windows and then decompressing them
into my /usr/local directory. This created two new
directories /usr/local/NVIDIA_GLX-0.9-769 and
/usr/local/NVIDIA_kernal-0.9-769.

I typed "make install" in NVIDIA_GLX* directory and
received error message, "install: cannot create
regular file '//usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers': No
such file or directory
make:***[install]Error 1

Then I proceeded to mkdir
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers
thinking this might solve the problem.

I again ran "make install" and got these messages:
Removing all old and conflicting files!
   rm -f  //usr/lib/libGL.*
   rm -f  //usr/lib/libGLcore.*
   rm -f
//usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.*
rm: cannot remove
'//usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.*:Not a
directory
make:***[install]Error 1

Next I ran "make install" in NVIDIA_kernel directory
and received this message:
rm -f nv.o os-interface.o os-registry.o module-linux
NVdriver
cc -c -Wall -Wunknown-pragmas ...
...yada yada...
nv.c:50:linux/modversions.h:No such file or directory
make:***[nv.o]Error 1

Help! This is really getting frustrating. I have
essentially no Linux/Unix experience.