Re: How can i get my printer to work??

	Subject: Re: How can i get my printer to work??
	Date: Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 03:26:25PM -0500

Quoting John Hughes(totaloverseer@home.com):

> >> 	Subject: Re: How can i get my printer to work??
> >> 	Date: Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 10:45:48PM -0500

> >> Quoting John Hughes(totaloverseer@home.com):
> >> If you do  'dmesg |less' do you see anything like these in there?
> >> kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP(,...)]
> >> kernel: lp0: using parport0 (polling).
>
> these are both there, along with some other stuff:
> parport0: Found 1 daisy-chained devices

Might the 'daisy-chained' refer to having a scanner connected to the
printer port and the printer connected to the scanner?  If so, I know
I have the wife's Win95 system connected that way but I doubt that it would
work in linux, tho I have never tried it.

> parport0: device reported incorrect length field (61, should be 62)

Maybe the scanner reporting, if the above was the case.

> >> do you have anything in lilo.conf concerning the printer?
> >> like  'append  = "lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"'

Well the parport dos says you have to tell it whaer the printer is
so...
The 'lp=parport0 parport=0x378', tells PARPORT which printer port your
printer is connected to (This method is for PARPORT compiled into the kernel).
The ,none is to 'not' assign an IRQ to the printer.
It doesn't require it and I need it elsewhere anyway.

> nothing like that
>
> >> What does ' grep PARPORT /usr/src/linux/.config ' come up with?
> >> Mine shows
> >> CONFIG_PARPORT=y
> >> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y
> >> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO=y
>
> I didnt compile my kernel, im running one of the 2.4.5 debian packages
I have never used a stock debian kernel so don't have any idea what is
or is not compiled into the kernel or supplied as modules.
Hint:  cat /proc/modules  or less /etc/modules.conf might help you
know what modules that kernel is using

OK, since I don't know if PARPORT is compiled into the kernel or not,
I would suggest that you read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt
as how you tell PARPORT where your printer is varies on how the kernel
handles PARPORT.  Oh, thats right you don't have the kernel source, do
you.  Well, if you are going to use linux for very long, I suggest you
download the kernel-[source|modules] packages and read the Doc files.

In the future it would help if you mentioned your system setup and
version, at least.  Your problem(s) would be a lot easier for people
to help you solve if we didn't have to keep asking questions realated
to you system/setup.

--
Scheduled Release Date: A carefully calculated date determined by
estimating the actual shipping date and subtracting six months from it.