Re: How can i get my printer to work??

>> 	Subject: Re: How can i get my printer to work??
>> 	Date: Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 10:45:48PM -0500

>> Quoting John Hughes(totaloverseer@home.com):

>> > Well I first tried to use the KDE cups tool, and when I tried to add a new printer, it said that there
>> > were no valid ports!
>> >
>> > lp, parport_pc, and all those other parport modules are running.
>> >

>> OK, thats a start.
>>
>> I don't run cups so I can't help you with that.  Lets see if
>> the kernel knows about the printer.
>>
>> If you do  'dmesg |less' do you see anything like these in there?
>> kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP(,...)]
>> kernel: lp0: using parport0 (polling).

these are both there, along with some other stuff:
parport0: Found 1 daisy-chained devices
parport0: device reported incorrect length field (61, should be 62)

>> do you have anything in lilo.conf concerning the printer?
>> like  'append  = "lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"'

nothing like that

>> What does ' grep PARPORT /usr/src/linux/.config ' come up with?
>> Mine shows
>> CONFIG_PARPORT=y
>> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y
>> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO=y

I didnt compile my kernel, im running one of the 2.4.5 debian packages

>> I use lpr and magicfilter and a2ps and haven't found the need to try
>> any of the other printer packages yet.

ive tried magicfilter. my printer is not supported there.