Re: HOME NETWORK

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 11:25:51AM -0700, D. Hoyem wrote:
| D-Man
|   Sorry for grabing you email address from the Debian
| users list, but I have been on the mailing list from

Not really a problem, but sending your questions to the list provides
a wider audience and you are likely to get a lot of helpful replies
and comments on personal experiences.

| What I want to do is use a Debian box for a firewall and access to
| the internet for a win98 machine.

This is easy enough, just install the 'ipmasq' package.  It comes
configured to work out-of-the-box.  I have a Debian firewall/router
that I haven't yet gone though and done any ip masquerade
configuration (time constraints ...) but it works beautifully.

| The Debian box will also be a BOT in one of the chat rooms on
| Chatnet.

This is a bit more complicated -- you will need to write the BOT logic
and interface with whatever interface Chatnet provides.  I have no
experience with this (Chatnet), but I have dealt with screenscraping
and automated programatic interaction over telnet.

| Is there some documentation on setting up the Network that I can
| read to do this?  I've seen all sorts of people having problems with
| this.  The debian box will be using a 3Com905 NIC card, and will be
| using a Diamond Modem, as the dial up.

There are the Networking HOWTOs on www.linuxdoc.org.  I think the 3Com
card should work fine using the 3c905 kernel module.  Check on
www.scyld.com for more information on NIC drivers.  Donald Becker is
the Really Smart Guy who wrote all the drivers (or the majority of
them anyways) and presently works for Scyld.

The modem shouldn't be a problem as long as it is a Real modem (not a
cheap imitation commonly called a WinModem).  Use minicom to
interactively determine the authentication procedures your ISP uses,
then write a chat script to do the dialing (really easy, see the Modem
HOWTO for more info).  Then just configure pppd to start up a PPP
connection with the ISP over the modem link chat has set up.  If you
have problems with that, check the logs for an error message, reread
the docs, try other options, and ask the list.  That is how I got my
dial-up to work -- basically trial-and-error.

HTH,
-D