resizing a partition with GNU parted

Hi,

I'm trying to resize my root Linux partition to make room for a FreeBSD
installation. Unfortunately, the partition I want to resize (/dev/hda3) is
the one where parted is installed -- when I run parted and try to resize
/dev/hda3, I get a warning telling me that the partition is in use.

Is this warning safe to ignore? I'm real doubtful. The software gives one
the choice of ignoring it, but ...

I've found info on the GNU site re: creating a boot disk of parted. But it
sounds pretty fearsome (esp. the step where you have to just go looking
for rescue disks that match your hardware) ... so I was wondering whether
anyone knows of an easier way to get this done. Basically I'd like to
split /dev/hda3 in half to create a /dev/hda4 that I'll turn into the
correct fs type with fdisk.

I guess I could go for Partition Magic ...

Thanks,

Glenn

http://www.burningclown.com
"Everyone's Portal to Nothing At All"