Re: differences Debian and Corel?

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:

>On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 09:03:30AM -0400, Jonathan Freiermuth wrote:
>
>:Short answer - yes.
>:Real  answer - yes, if you are willing to learn.
>:
>:I've never personally used Corel, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess
>:that Corel did its best to hide the complexities of Linux from the user.
>:
>:Debian is a powerful system, and as such requires more knowledge
>:about how and why things work. In other words, you can probably install
>:debian off of an official CD, no problem, but you may have to recompile
>:your kernel to enable reading the NTFS volume.
>
>I've never used Corel either so caveat lector, but if it's Debian
>derived, can't he just edit /etc/apt/sources and do a dist-upgrade?
>
>This would leave the kernel in tact and let him keep all his data and
>whatever frobs he likes from Corel.

Sort of.  The frobs are often packaged with versioned-depends that
preclude newer versions from fulfilling them.  Corel 1.0 (slink) -> potato
gives you a loss of wp8 because of versioned depends on type1inst for
example.

--
There is no problem so great that it cannot be solved with suitable
application of High Explosives.