Re: Getting Started!

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 10:22:39PM +0200, HawkY wrote:
:Hi!
:
:I'm new to Debian and to Linux too. (I've just (tried to) installed Debian
:Potato next to a Win2k.) And I have questions:
:
:How can I get a list of my installed packages. ( dpkg ???)

This is rarely necissary, but if you want to use
"dpkg --get-selections | more" ( the "| more" send the output of the
firts command to the "more" program that shows it one screen at a
time)

If you have Xwindows working (BIG if :), gnome-apt is a nice GUI for
package management if you're new to it.  There's also console-apt,
which I've never used.  You'd probably need to install these.

dselect is the old way, it's console based and to my mind tortureous.

:Does this command list the packages I've installed with mc?

How do you install packages with mc?

:How can I install a bunch of packages with one single command? (I want to
:install gnome, but I don't really know the package dependencies.)

the basic format is:

root@localhost# apt-get install <package-name>

This will check dependencies and install them too, after giving you a
chance to decline (for exmple 300M of dependencies over 56k dial up)

:Is there a book I can get from the net that describes Debian? (If it is
:free... :o) )

There's lots of good online info, unfortunately I don't have URL's
handy.  Hopefully  someone else does, if not email me off the list and
I'll dig around for 'ya

-Jon