Re: oh crikey, it's ALSA all over again

> hi,
>
> just recently installed alsa drivers too...so, i'm just wondering: you
> said you untarred alsa into the modules subdirectory? normally the alsa
> installation script should do that for you. also, you shouldn't have to
> copy files around...with debian anyway. i remember, coming from suse
> myself, i used to do that alot too...with debian however, you should be
> okay without doing that. basically you should just put all the files
> (kernel source, alsa drivers) to wherever you want them to be (myself, i
> put them into /usr/src/kernel-source-x.x.x and /usr/src/alsa) then change

Actually, Debian gives you a copy of alsa-driver.tar.gz in /usr/src. If you
untar them, the files go automagically into
/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver-<version>
which is perfectly right for Debian (see below)...
> over to the alsa directory and run ./configure --with-cards=<the module
> for your card> additionally you may have to add another --with for the
> directory of the kernel source...

You have also the file /etc/alsa/alsa-source.conf
Where you can enter your card...

What I always do:
Unpacking the kernel-sources in /usr/src/ (->
/usr/src/kernel-sources-<version>)
Compiling a new kernel:
	- cd kernel-sources-<version>
	- make menuconfig
	- make-kpkg --revision=<MyRevision> kernel_image
Unpacking the alsa-sources in /usr/src (->
/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver-<version>)
cd kernel-sources-<version>
make-kpkg modules_image

After that you have in /usr/src
- a kernel image (kernel-image-<version>.deb)
- a alsa modules image (alsa-modules-<version>.deb)
- maybe any other modules images

These images can be installed with
dpkg -i ImageFile.deb

The package management system makes all the configuration for you (no need
for snddevices, etc)

Hope that helps

Regards
	Andreas
--
Andreas Tscharner
Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side?  And hain't that a big