Re: iptables and 2.4.4 kernel in testing

	Subject: iptables and 2.4.4 kernel in testing
	Date: Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 11:44:17PM -0400

Quoting Simon Read(simon@unix.csis.american.edu):
> Folks,
>
> I'm trying  to build a firewall  using the 2.4.4  kernel and iptables.
> The kernel seems  to configure and build without  problems, but when I
> try to run iptables to specify a rule I get a message like:
>
> modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables
> iptables v1.2.2: can't initialize iptables table `nat': iptables who? (do you ne
> ed to insmod?)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I also compiled 'all' of the modules into the kernel, at first.  I
found one problem with that method tho. When conntrack was compiled
in, any lost connections were not dropped in /proc/net/ip_conntrack.
I found that I had many connections there that were over a week old.
Altho that is no big deal, I didn't like the idea that they were still
there.  So I recompiled all of the netfiler selections as modules.
The 'lost connections' are now deleated.  FWIIW here are the modules I
am using with seccess in my firewall script.

grep -i ip_nf /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_LIMIT=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MAC is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MARK=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MULTIPORT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TOS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TCPMSS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_STATE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_UNCLEAN=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_OWNER=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REJECT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MIRROR=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_FTP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MANGLE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TOS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MARK=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TCPMSS=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_COMPAT_IPCHAINS is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_COMPAT_IPFWADM is not set

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
--
Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to continue....