Re: iptables and 2.4.4 kernel in testing

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 23:03:05 Steve Kowalik wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 11:44:17PM -0400, Simon Read uttered:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I have a two difficulties interpreting this message: iptables is
not a
> > dynamically loadable  module in 2.4.4  but is compiled in;  no
modules
> > were built at all for my 2.4.4 kernel.
> >
> *slap*
> Do _not_ build iptables directly into the kernel. Modules Are
Good[tm].
> Build the iptables/netfilter stuff as modules, and it will probably
all
> start working.

Actually, iptables works with it built-in to the kernel also.
Ya just have to follow the build.  I.e, install the kernel
source,
then install iptables, do a make mrproper, make
xconfig(whatever),
make dep, make bzImage, copy to /boot, edit lilo.conf, run
/sbin/
lilo, make modules, make modules_install, copy over System.map.

If you can't get the above sections, go to
http://linuxnewbie.org
and read. (actually, it's more detailed than that, but I'm a
tad lazy tonight.;)

Dana
--
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.