Re. Total Confusion

Nick wrote:

[snip]
>I have the2.2.r3 version of Debian. The full kernel description is
>2.0.38-2.0.38-3.
Can't comment on any of your other issues at the moment, but your
kernel version *can't* be right - I'm running Debian 2.2r2 which came
with kernel 2.2.18pre?, and which I've recently updated to 2.2.19 ...

I got these numbers from the kernel image module on the installation disk. After reviewing this note, I went back to the disk and found other kernel versions on it, including the two that Nick gives above.

At this point, I do not know which is actually installed. I tried the command kernelversion and got the response 2.2, which is no help.

Using dmesg, I get linux version 2.2.14-5.0 (root@porky.devel.redhat.com). I do not know if this is the kernel version installed or not. I guess that I must ask how one finds the full kernel version.