Re: Installation Problems

> Hi,
>
> Your hard disk is IDE? DO you know the name and make.
Hard Drive Type 65 (813MB) (?). It is IDE.
> But in your case I suspect the problem with the floppy
> disk. Try to use the best disk when you run rawwrite
>
> or check the badblock fisrt.
How do I check that?

> TO make sure your computer is bootable in Linux you
> can try loadlin provided that you can boot into DOS,
> Pls fine loadlin some where in debian ftp server, put
> it
> like c:\loadlin.exe
> And the kernel image I am not sure where to download
> it may be some one has an idea, If you need I can send
> you one made by me.) for example you save the kernel
> image as the file c:\bzimage

When I found the loadlin program, (in the installation instructions,
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install, 6.3.1) there was a
description of how to install linux from a DOS partition. As indicated
there, I put the install.bat, loadlin.exe, base, driver, rescue and
root disc onto the laptop harddrive (using winzip and multidisc
spanning , a real pain - I don't have a modem on the laptop). When
starting loadlin followed simply by "linux" (my kernel image), the
same thing happened as when I was using the compact rescue disc: the
kernel started fine, went through a couple of pages of
initializations, then
"
[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12, FAT 16, check=n, conv=b, uid=0, gid=0, unmask=022]
[me=0x23,      ..... some other similar values.... ]
Transaction block size =512
Invalid session or number
ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0x80, count=1
"
When I tried
loadlin linux root=/dev/hda1 (my DOS partition), same start but then:
"
request_module[n]s_cp437: Root fs not mounted
Unable to load NLS charsetcp437

repeat last 2 lines then

VFS: Mounted root (msdos filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 156k freed
Warning unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0x80, count=1
"
With loadlin linux root=/dev/hda2 (my unformatted linux partition),
same as without indicating root=.
With loadlin linux root=/dev/ram (as is done in the install.bat), same
start but then:
"
[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12, FAT 16, check=n, conv=b, uid=0, gid=0, unmask=022]
[me=0x23,      ..... some other similar values.... ]
Transaction block size = 512

> Then at the dos prompt type
> loadlin bzimage root=/dev/hda2
>
> Just to check if the kernel is loaded. You will have
> the error at last as /dev/hda2 is not a root partition
> at the moment but you can watch if the kernel detects
> everything. Please post the message that the kernel
> inform.

I guess that means that the kernel loads well, but has problems
mounting the filesystem.