Re: oh crikey, it's ALSA all over again

Blue Rat <r0dentz@crosswinds.net> writes:
BR> Oh, I have unpacked the kernel source into /usr/src/linux all
BR> right; ALSA modules have been untarred into the modules
BR> subdirectory where they belong, run configure and I'm fine.

(The kernel source doesn't actually *need* to go into /usr/src/linux,
and you don't necessarily want to start building ALSA by hand yet.)

BR> Try to make them and I'm told that no version.h file is present in
BR> the source directory. Copy it from /usr/include, make
BR> - and I'm knee deep in error messages going on and on about declarations
BR> about nonexistent parameters.

Yeah, basically you never want to use the header files in
/usr/include/linux, since they correspond to the header files used
when libc was built, not necessarily to any kernel that you're
actually using.  The way I'd recommend you do things:

-- Get kernel source from somewhere (e.g. ftp.kernel.org).  Unpack it
   anywhere (I tend to use /usr/local/src/kernel-source-2.4.4-foo
   where foo is the name of the machine I'm compiling for, but this is
   irrelevant).

-- Install the module source packages you care about.  Most of those
   these days leave tar files in /usr/src; untar those too.

-- 'apt-get install kernel-package'.  It's a good idea to read its
   documentation.

-- cd to the top-level directory of the kernel source.  Run your
   favorite variation on 'make config'.

-- Run 'fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=dzm.1 buildpackage' to build the
   kernel.

-- Run 'fakeroot make-kpkg modules' to build modules.

This leaves you with a bunch of Debian packages in your parent
directory.  Install them, and reboot.

	-- Abra Mitchell