[OT] True console in X?

I've been searching though freshmeat, the net and debian packages and am
not coming up with what I want.  I doubt it even exists but I have to
ask.  I love working in console but I find myself in X mostly because my
browser of choice is there and I can copy paste between that and other
programs.  A text browser doesn't quite cut it for me.

What would be ideal is to be able to emulate the look of console in X
and run that on one or more workspaces.  Xterms and derivatives don't
quite have the feel of true console.  I'm sure many of you feel the same
as I do about this.  What work arounds have some of you come up with?
Thanks,
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted