Re: Re. Total Confusion

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 03:50:43PM -0700, Sidney Brooks wrote:
> As for the ping suggestion, I think that I tried it about a week ago
> without success. The clue that I do not know how to use is that my ISP
> administrator had no trouble connecting his computer through my line to the
> internet.

And you have tried using pppconfig?  I don't use kppp.  Really, with
pppconfig, there's nothing to it at all.  It's very user-friendly, and
you can configure it to do neat things like keep the connection persistent
and automatically discover your nameservers.  Without knowing much about
your network, it's hard to say.  Why do you say that you're connected...
Do you have an external modem, and you can see the lights?  Or does kppp
tell you that you are connected?  Have you checked the ppp logs?  I'll
admit, using Linux _can_ be more confusing than other operating systems,
but I have installed Debian many times, used pppconfig, and been up and
running in no time at all.  No messing about with CHAP scripts, etc.
Are you connected through some sort of gateway?  I'm sort of at a loss;
dial-up is pretty trivial now on Linux systems, as opposed to in the "old
days".

Tom