Re. Total Confusion

Following your suggestions, I have installed the parport and lp modules and changed the BIOS to make the parallel port bidirectional. Windows recognized the printer port change. Debian still will not print. When using echo to tell it to print, it says "no such device" to both /lp0 and /lp1. As for the ping suggestion, I think that I tried it about a week ago without success. The clue that I do not know how to use is that my ISP administrator had no trouble connecting his computer through my line to the internet.