fakeroot problem

With fakeroot 0.4.4-9.2,  a build exits with

----[stderr abridged and graciously spaced for clarity]----

/usr/bin/perl: error while loading shared libraries:
libfakeroot.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code

make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1

----[stderr abridged and graciously spaced for clarity]----

Build is successful however when I downgrade to fakeroot 0.4.4-9.1.
What's surprising is that this problem doesn't occur with all source
packages. I have confirmed this for nautilus, kdebase (2.1.1.0), and
xfree86. Smaller packages like aumix tend to compile succesfully.