Re. Total Confusion

I would like to make the following observation in response to some of the suggestions that I have read. In response to my persistence, my ISP administrator, who is not interested in linux, set up Redhat linux on his computer, doing nothing but a straightforward installation with none of the subtleties that various people suggested here. He used kppp because I told him that was what I was using with my Redhat. He plugged into my line and got connected to the internet. We then matched every one of his settings in kppp on my computer and I had the usual failure to get on to the internet after connecting. For whatever it is worth, and I really don't think that it is worth much, when I mentioned minicom, he said that it wouldn't work with our system. My guess is that he really doesn't know much about minicom. Somewhere in my computer, something is set wrong. I would think that it would have to be the BIOS, because I do not think that the trouble is in Debian. Otherwise, lots of people would have my troubles. But,I don't know how to correct the problem. For the record, my parallel port and serial port are enabled in the BIOS.